The world is in love with beer and many companies endorse it, such as the NFL. Watch commercials during an NFL game especially the Superbowl and I guarantee you will see a Coors Light, Heineken, or Budweiser commercial. Should Christians automatically dismiss beer because the world promotes it? Well not necessarily. Scripture has a lot to say about alcohol. First, I recommend not drinking it in the first place so you don’t cause others to stumble and so you don’t fall into sin, but drinking alcohol is not sinful.
Drunkenness is sinful. Drunkenness is what leads people to hell. Christians can drink beer, but only in moderation. We must be careful when we use the word moderation because many people try to deceive themselves. This is what they do. They buy a six pack of beer and drink 3 or 4 in a row and say, “dude it’s moderation calm down”. Seriously! Once again I recommend not drinking, but if you do happen to drink, always remember how will it affect you and others around you. With alcohol comes responsibility.
What does the Bible say
1. Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
2. Romans 12:1-2 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
3. Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, beer is a brawler, and whoever staggers because of them is not wise.
4. Isaiah 5:9-12 The Lord All-Powerful said this to me: “The fine houses will be destroyed; the large and beautiful houses will be left empty. At that time a ten-acre vineyard will make only six gallons of wine, and ten bushels of seed will grow only half a bushel of grain.” How terrible it will be for people who rise early in the morning to look for strong drink, who stay awake late at night, becoming drunk with wine. At their parties they have lyres, harps, tambourines, flutes, and wine. They don’t see what the Lord has done or notice the work of his hands.
5. 1 Peter 5:7-8 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
Is drinking beer a sin? No
6. Proverbs 31:4-8 “Kings should not drink wine, Lemuel, and rulers should not desire beer. If they drink, they might forget the law and keep the needy from getting their rights. Give beer to people who are dying and wine to those who are sad. Let them drink and forget their need and remember their misery no more. “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; defend the rights of all those who have nothing.
7. Psalm 104:13-16 You water the mountains from above. The earth is full of the things you made. You make the grass for cattle and vegetables for the people. You make food grow from the earth. You give us wine that makes happy hearts and olive oil that makes our faces shine.You give us bread that gives us strength. The Lord’s trees have plenty of water; they are the cedars of Lebanon, which he planted.
8. Ecclesiastes 9:5-7 The living at least know they will die, but the dead know nothing. They have no further reward, nor are they remembered. Whatever they did in their lifetime—loving, hating, envying—is all long gone. They no longer play a part in anything here on earth. So go ahead. Eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this!
Drunkenness is a sin
9. Ephesians 5:16-18 So be careful how you act; these are difficult days. Don’t be fools; be wise: make the most of every opportunity you have for doing good. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but try to find out and do whatever the Lord wants you to. Don’t drink too much wine, for many evils lie along that path; be filled instead with the Holy Spirit and controlled by him.
10. Romans 13:13-14 The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here. So quit the evil deeds of darkness and put on the armor of right living, as we who live in the daylight should! Be decent and true in everything you do so that all can approve your behavior. Don’t spend your time in wild parties and getting drunk or in adultery and lust or fighting or jealousy. But ask the Lord Jesus Christ to help you live as you should, and don’t make plans to enjoy evil.
11. Galatians 5:19-21 The wrong things the sinful self does are clear: being sexually unfaithful, not being pure, taking part in sexual sins, worshiping gods, doing witchcraft, hating, making trouble, being jealous, being angry, being selfish, making people angry with each other, causing divisions among people, feeling envy, being drunk, having wild and wasteful parties, and doing other things like these. I warn you now as I warned you before: Those who do these things will not inherit God’s kingdom.
12. 1 Corinthians 6:8-11 But, instead, you yourselves are the ones who do wrong, cheating others, even your own brothers. Don’t you know that those doing such things have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who live immoral lives, who are idol worshipers, adulterers or homosexuals—will have no share in his Kingdom. Neither will thieves or greedy people,drunkards, slanderers, or robbers. There was a time when some of you were just like that but now your sins are washed away, and you are set apart for God; and he has accepted you because of what the Lord Jesus Christ and the Spirit of our God have done for you.
13. 1 Corinthians 6:12 “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.
14. Proverbs 23:29-30 Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises?Who has bloodshot eyes? Those who linger over wine, who go to sample bowls of mixed wine.
15. Proverbs 23:20-21 Do not carouse with drunkards or feast with gluttons, for they are on their way to poverty, and too much sleep clothes them in rags.
Glory of God
16. 1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
17. Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed,do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
18. 1 Samuel 1:13-17 Hannah was praying inwardly. Her lips were quivering, and her voice could not be heard. So Eli thought she was drunk. Eli told her, “How long will you stay drunk? Put away your wine!” “No, sir!” Hannah replied. “I’m a deeply troubled woman. I’ve drunk neither wine nor beer. I’ve been pouring out my soul in the Lord’s presence. Don’t consider your maid servant a worthless woman. Rather, all this time I’ve been speaking because I’m very anxious and distressed.”“Go in peace,” Eli answered. “May the God of Israel grant the request you have asked of him.”
19. Isaiah 56:10-12 Israel’s watchmen are blind, they all lack knowledge; they are all mute dogs, they cannot bark; they lie around and dream, they love to sleep. They are dogs with mighty appetites; they never have enough. They are shepherds who lack understanding; they all turn to their own way, they seek their own gain.”Come,” each one cries, “let me get wine! Let us drink our fill of beer! And tomorrow will be like today, or even far better.”
20. Isaiah 24:9-12 No longer do they drink wine with a song; the beer is bitter to its drinkers. he ruined city lies desolate; the entrance to every house is barred. In the streets they cry out for wine; all joy turns to gloom, all joyful sounds are banished from the earth. The city is left in ruins, its gate is battered to pieces.
21. Micah 2:8-11 Lately my people have risen up like an enemy. You strip off the rich robe from those who pass by without a care, like men returning from battle. You drive the women of my people from their pleasant homes. You take away my blessing from their children forever. Get up, go away! For this is not your resting place, because it is defiled, it is ruined, beyond all remedy. If a liar and deceiver comes and says, ‘I will prophesy for you plenty of wine and beer,’ that would be just the prophet for this people!